Cleland Conservation Park
Cleland Conservation Park has been dedicated to the QCC by David Speirs MP, Minister for Environment and Water, South Australia. It conserves an area of approximately 1,025 hectares and is classified as a biodiversity hotspot, one of only 15 in Australia.
Cleland Conservation Park was established on 1 January 1945, making it one of the earliest Parks in Australia. It is located in the Mount Lofty Ranges region, approximately 10 kilometres (25 minutes) from the centre of Adelaide in South Australia.
With its extraordinary diversity of plants and animals, and its ongoing challenges resulting from people pressure, pollution, invasive plant, fungal and animal species and the omnipresent threat of fire and climate change, the region will be strengthened by international recognition and support.
Both the Cleland Conservation Park and its core Wildlife Park are an integral part of recreation and tourism activities. Cleland engages the local community not just to promote conservation activities including weed and pest management, but also supports a significant component of the economic fabric of the region.
The Wildlife Park employs 55 individuals as wildlife carers, rangers and retail staff, and supports 80 volunteers who actively engage in the Wildlife Park maintenance and animal care. In addition, the cafés and gift shops located at Cleland Wildlife Park and Mt Lofty Summit (within the Park), and the restaurant at Waterfall Gully support local produce manufacturers, artists and other hills industries.